M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Looking for Readers and Reviews in All the Wrong Places?



Blurb for The Ghost in the Closet:

Dumdie Swartz sees things other people can’t. Her weird habits have caused her nothing but problems since she was a child. Even her sisters teased her mercilessly.

When her boss fired her because he thought her trances were TIAs, Dumdie became homeless. Though Dumdie was lucky to find a room in a homeless shelter, just as winter was setting in, she discovers that not only does a ghost haunt her room, but her safe haven is threatened by a lost will. Dumdie must conquer her fear of upsetting people if she's to keep her room in the homeless shelter.


~~#~~

Heaved a huge sigh of relief last night. 

Got another self-published novella up. Now I have to promote it and find someone willing to do a review. It's sort of like shooting yourself in the foot. The best places I should do this are on Amazon and Goodreads. I know it. But, I'm such a populist that I get squeamish about limiting distribution to Amazon. 

How I'm trying to build a platform without making me snarl.

I'm offering The Ghost in the Closet for free on Smashwords for a short time. That allows this hermit to offer it free to people without using the computer skills I don't have. Hope I can get a free good review lines to use in Tweets. So I hope you at least click the link and read a piece. If I did my job, you'll read it to the end.

More important I'm giving you a case study in marketing. I'm trying to mesh the limited amounts of time I can spend on the computer, my natural inclination to avoid social media, and come up with a way to promote successfully. All before I put the book up for sale on Amazon -- that's when I raise the price to 99c.

You think that's too much to charge? 

Well, that means I'll get about 10-35c a sale. Remember I'm cheap and have a natural inclination towards thinking writers should get paid for their creations . Yeah, I think I'm competent enough not to disgrace myself.

What's your position on giving books away for free?

No comments: