M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Recyling Your Settings: Are You Squeezing the Most Out of the Worlds You Create?

One of my all time favorite settings/worlds is Andre Norton's Witch World series. I've been reading them since forever ... and even have the 25c Ace editions to prove it. Imagine my delight when I discovered a new [to me] Witch World novel in my to-read pile. Andre Norton and A. C. Crispin's Songsmith about Eydrth, the daughter of Elys and Jervon, two of my favorite characters in the series. 

All in all, the Witch World is an excellent example to follow if you want to get the most mileage out of the worlds you create--fantasy or other. How? You recycle the details with new characters.

The story line: Eydrth, a minstrel, seeks a cure for her father whose mind was blasted by magic while seeking her missing mother. On her long journey from Arvon through Escarp, she first crosses the Witches of Escarp and links up with an adept whose quest parallels hers. The quest gets complicated by a mad witch, with a vendetta against men working magic, who seeks to destroy both the adept and Eydrth's family.

Won't mention the authors' effective craft skills here because both writers are Masters. Still there were little glitches here and there which a good copy editor should have caught.

The one I snorted loudest at? Eydrth was singing in the market square when a rampaging half-Keplian stallion threatened her audience. Of course, Eydrth drops her harp and leaves her tip money in the case to calm the stallion. What bothered me? No one stole anthing--neither the harp nor the money.

Such nit-picks aside, I give Songsmith Five ***** Stars. Hey, I read it in one sitting and was bleary eyed the next day. But I enjoyed the trip.

###

The Ghost in the Closet is partially back from my beta readers. Got some good input which I'll put into play next week. 

Did get slammed on the word "doodie". I named my charcter "Doodie" because as a kid she hummed to herself -- doo-de-doo-de-dum.

Seems this California gal didn't clue into some eastern parts of the US using "doodie" as the equivalent of "doggie do", aka excrement. My main character's name is getting changed to Dumdie, different but still an insult.



What do you think about getting the cover to 3-D? Is it noticible?

No comments: