M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, May 30, 2011

"Changing of the Guard" and Perspective

Bad Haiku:

Sorry.  My lips were
zipped for proprieties' sake.
I've been good too long.

I think my psyche's telling me it's time to create.  Maybe I shouldn't inflict my fun on you, 
but here it is. 

"Changing of the Guard"
War’s winners force change.
Old King chained to dungeon wall.
Faces hide secrets.

 New ruler’s goons prowl,
Steal in the name of taxes.
New fortress needs built.

Press gangs haunt the night,
Collecting poor men and boys
for work crew fodder.

#

Progress:
The "Taking Vengeance" trailer is in draft form.  [It's up on YouTube, if you can find it.]  I rather like it in spite of the anachronistic armor and wrong type of sword fighting.  Music for the trailer is slowing things down because my daughter is painting her new apartment instead of arranging the score.  Not that I mind, but the trailer producer might.

Then, there's "Cavern Between Worlds".  The cover and formatting are almost done.  Now is the time for the computer klutz to try and upload the stuff, and build an author's page, and ???? --  It's going to be another free story, for awhile at least.  "The Foiling of Gorsfeld" is the other free fantasy story I have up on my website

Ugh.  Two things to promote.
Have I mentioned I hate marketing?
Still, I forgot how good it feels to see your name in print -- 
even if it's self-published.


Trivia:
Am reading Social Marketing for Dummies, wondering whether I wasted $27.00 because it seems focused on business.  I'm hoping it's got ideas I can apply to my own marketing since buyers seem to keep the book.  I've looked in six used book stores without finding a copy.

4 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

A lot in the kettle so to speak. I feel the same way. Let me know if you learn anything from that book. I tagged you.
Nancy

Unknown said...

Tag me? How nice, Nancy. I hope you mean on Kindle, B&N, and Smashwords. I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

On the Dummies book. It's mostly for commercial businesses ... though I still hoping that there is something pertinent to the artisan market. Aren't we writers artists?

Unknown said...

Hi Kay! Loving the 'bad Haiku, btw... :0)

I actually stopped by to say 'thank you' for your support during my A-Z blogging month. I've created a fun "no strings attached" blog award for you and all of the other awesome bloggers who offered feedback and encouragement.

You can view the award and my thank you note here:
http://the-open-vein-ejwesley.blogspot.com/2011/06/im-back-bringing-love.html

Hope you are well and that I see you around in the future!

EJ

Unknown said...

Thanks, EJ. I'll go see asap. At the moment, I gotta blog again. Don't even have time for the next chapter of my Bad Haiku. [It's drafted, but another two projects got in the way.]