M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Stumbling Towards Publication

Went to New York City ... and DC ..., and the one thing I didn't expect was no internet connection.  Had access to computers but the signal was too weak to use where I could sit without my hip throwing a tantrum.  So, no blog.  Sorry.  Didn't even get much of a look at my emails ... so I didn't know what was happening with the WolfSinger cover art.

WolfSinger Publications has sent "Taking Vengeance" to an artist for a cover art!  It's enough to warm the cockles of a pessimist's heart.  I'm working with her now.  She has drafted an okay picture, but my Half-Elven are much darker than Tolkien's elves.  She drew Mariah as a "sweet young thing" ... which she definitely isn't.  [From the prequel partials, I doubt if she was a "sweet young thing" when a child.]  I'll be getting back to the artist today, once we finalized the last details of my nursing-home friend's funeral.

Also, the contract is in process for the trailer.  I've got to sign and send money.  I've read several comments lately on blogs and in forums that writing is much more expensive than it used to be.  I can remember when I only spent money on paper, postage, envelopes and miscellaneous.  

Now?   Having a computer is just the starters.  Where do the trailers, websites, editing, and marketing campaigns ... figure in your writing?  My hat's off to any reader who has landed a traditional publisher for their book.  {Of course, I don't wear hats.  Not since Vatican II and before that, I wore a mantilla.} 

Also, "Dark Solstice" came in at 76,500 words.  Probably, another reason it won't sell.  It's too short.  Novella, anyone?  --  I should have never removed the redundancies and passives and incomplete revisions.  Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.

Trivia:
Last year sometime, I wrote  a review of The Ghosts of Crutchfield Hall, and gave the book to a step-grandkid after he said he like to read about ghosts.  He ignored the book.  

Two weeks ago, his non-reading, school-hating sister devoured the book.  When she started talking about Sophia doing this, and Sophia doing that, it took her mother a day to realize the kid, who doesn't read, had finished the book.  She immediately launched into Wind in the Willows, which she thinks is the funniest book ever.  --  Can this be an argument for giving free books to kids just to have them sitting on a shelf and accessible?       

7 comments:

Mary Mary said...

That's pretty cool about your cover art! Best of luck with it! I hope it eventually turns out how you want it to be.

Unknown said...

Mary: Yeah, Marge was nice beyond whatever she needed to do. The cover will be close enough to be true to the major description of the character. All else is due to interpretation.

Hopefully, I'll be able to put it up on the site in it's art form rather than just the cover.

Doreen McGettigan said...

Traditional publishing is also very expensive these days. They are doing less and less marketing for NEW authors.
I hope your cover is exactly what you are envisining.
http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

Unknown said...

Doreen: Yeah, everything is expensive now days. {Wt least a pre-1965 US dime still buys a good loaf of bread. Oh, such a "junk" dime costs about $3.00.}

I think the cover will be a nice compromise, but I don't think the artist is happy with me. I pushed her a little hard to make the picture reflect the book.

As for traditional publishers marketing help: I'm thinking of paying for a small scale publicity campaign. [Small campaign for a small book.]

Jaye Robin Brown said...

Kay - I'm sorry about your friend. But a book about to be published is a celebration.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Kay
Since you've been to my blog today you know how I am handling all the expenses.

I read on another blog that he can write 97,000 words a day. He said one is a book, one a novella and one a short story. I am thinking his book is probably 60 to 70,000 words. We won't question the quality at this time and just take his word for it. I know that my novella came in at just over 10,000 words. A lot of publishers are interested in smaller books, but even so, if you self pub you don't have to worry about that. Just hire an editor please.

I know, I'm on the self pub bandwagon again. I did try for years the traditional route.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Unknown said...

Nancy: I'm thinking of maybe self-publishing something ... but I don't really have anything to publish yet.

Good luck on getting another publication out since it seems your sales increase the more choices you offer.