M. K. Theodoratus, Fantasy Writer, blogs about the books she reads--mostly fantasy and mystery authors whose books catch her eye and keep her interest. Nothing so formal as a book review, just chats about what she liked. Theodoratus also mutters about her own writing progress or ... lack of it.

.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Still Celebrating ...

Learning from My Reading:  Spent the last few days reading Moyra Caldecott's young adult The Tall Stones triology set in still ring-worshipping Britain -- maybe Stonehendge though she doesn't name it as such.

Read the books in the late 70s, and my son brought them to light again because he remembered how impressed he was with them.  Boy, has writing changed since she published.  The first book was so bad, but the last two are mostly telling.  Cadecott has some interesting takes on spirit travel (very close to shamanism) but, to me, her characters were drawn in primary colors.  --  I like shades with even my evil comes in shades of gray.

Now, I'm old enough not to mind a fair amount of "telling" in the books I read.  But I'm finding telling slows things down.  Maybe movies and telling a story as if it is appearing on a stage have done us a favor.  Too much "telling" feels more like the outline of the story rather than a complete presentation of your imagining of the happenings in the story.  I know I'll keep "framing" the beginning of my action with a brief description of the scene, who's there, and any needed transition info before push my characters into action.  Still, now I have to go back and look for those "filter" statements (thinks and seems) in my first person narrative as well as where I lay on the back story.

Why is writing such work?

Progress:  Still on vacation.  The revision binder for Emma made it upstairs to my computer, but I haven't opened it yet.  Too busy watching DVDs, talking with visiting son, and looking at bookstores.

 Trivia:  Just got back from Denver where we visited yet more bookstores.  Crowning achievement?  We found two of Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series used, and I bought signed copies of Pat Stoltey's mysteries.  That and a great gyro meal at Pete's made for a satisfying day.  Even managed to avoid tight traffic.

2 comments:

N A Sharpe said...

I enjoy reading a lot of fantasy (that's what I write too). I enjoy the different writing styles - even Jim Butcher's work between different stories shows some variety in his writing style (love the Dresden series!) You are right - it seems fantasy and sci-fi do a lot of telling of the story instead of showing. I've noticed the trend in historical fiction too. Sometimes there is a purpose behind it, but sometimes it can be a bit tiresome - you just want to get on with the story!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Patricia Stoltey said...

Kay, thanks for buying my books. You must have been at Who! Else at the Denver Book Mall. Ron and Nina Else are two of the sweetest book people I know, and they are extrememly supportive of Colorado authors.

My Colorado author at my blog today is Carol Berg, an award-winning author of epic fantasy. You might be interested in attending her reading and signing at Reader's Cove in Fort Collins on Jan. 12th.